- Readings and Assignments: MEXT-authorized English textbooks: Designing a junior high school text series by Thomas Hardy (Keio University) http://www.jalt.org/pansig/2007/HTML/Hardy.htm
(2) culture activities from various sources (to be distributed in class) INCLUDING YOUR materials, so bring some!
- Concepts: culture specific; culture general; culture contrast
- Discussion questions: What were the two main points for which MEXT guidelines were taken into consideration? Who were the stakeholders considered? What approaches were considered but rejected? What approaches were taken in the end?
- References: It’s Not What You Think Plagens/Nakamura
English across Cultures Honna/Kirkpatrick/Gilbert Bafa-bafa game